View Poll Results: What are you doing with your last name?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keeping my current surname

7 6.14%
  • Taking his surname

90 78.95%
  • Double-barrelling

6 5.26%
  • Other

11 9.65%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What are you doing with your name?

Super Senior Platinum Member SpecialSundae's Avatar

Default What are you doing with your name?

There's no right or wrong answer to this, but I'm curious as to what proportion of us are taking their husband's name, keeping their own, double-barreling or doing something entirely different.

So what are you doing with your last name?
    Fairy Gokmother

Im keeping my name on a professional basis and otherwise taking his name and to be known by his name to family and friends! But my maiden name with everything to do with my job! (doctor)

Super Senior Platinum Member BalbirnieDreamer's Avatar

I'm changing and taking his name. I'm a traditional girl at heart! Although I'm considering having my current surname as a middle name as I don't have one and want to keep it in memory of my Grandma that pretty much raised me for my first 3-4 years of life!
    Lx
    Craig and Laura's Wedding Website
    16th of June 2012

Super Senior Platinum Member missm2mrsf's Avatar

im being traditional also and taking his name. not that sad to lose my own really. my dad i am not super close to and my mum has remarried so there really isnt any family other than my dad and uncle with my surname. x

I'm really sad to lose my name and had wanted to double barrel but Htb being very traditional about it. I'm gonna have my surname as my middle name x

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie_Dimples View Post
    I'm really sad to lose my name and had wanted to double barrel but Htb being very traditional about it. I'm gonna have my surname as my middle name x
    Do you mind that he's vetoing your wishes?
    Fairy Gokmother

Stockton-on-Tees for work and Glasgow is where my Fiance is

There's no doubt in my mind that I'm taking my husbands name, it's the way it should be (probably going to offend here). I'm going to struggle with the fact that my professional name will still be under my maiden name so I'm seriously considering paying to have my degree (PhD) changed.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers

I took my husbands name Thought about double barrelling but Dorstewitz-Williamson seemed a bit of a mouth full I'm happy to be Anita Williamson
    Anita & Grant 26th of May 2011

Quote Originally Posted by lil_jo84 View Post
    There's no doubt in my mind that I'm taking my husbands name, it's the way it should be (probably going to offend here). I'm going to struggle with the fact that my professional name will still be under my maiden name so I'm seriously considering paying to have my degree (PhD) changed.
    Why do you feel that it's the way it should be?
    Fairy Gokmother

Stockton-on-Tees for work and Glasgow is where my Fiance is

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialSundae View Post
    Why do you feel that it's the way it should be?
    probably not the best way to put it (my fault). I just mean it's the traditional way to do things as it shows who your husband is... It would feel wrong to me to have a different surname to my husband and kids and double barrel would take me to 5 names! Like I said it's already going to feel weird being both Dr. P and Mrs C. but Mrs P. is my mum!

Na to be honest it means a lot to him that we have his surname, he did ask if I had a particular reason for wanting to keep it but I don't apart from it's my name that ive had for 27years, ive always wanted a middle name and this I get one and keep my surnam in there. It's become a standing joke that he calls me mrs Monteith to be and I reply with mrs Allan-Monteith actually! It just annoys me when other family members (particularly his side) just assume I'm automatically taking his name x

Senior Platinum Member Harajuku80's Avatar

I'm going to take my fiance's name. I'm a traditionalist at heart too but I don't have any of my dad's side left that i speak to and i'll be quite happy to be a Mackay, as his family are fab! :0) xx

Super Senior Member AnotherMrsBrown's Avatar

Im taking his surname - i dont particulary like my surname and its my Dads who i dont see anymore. My new surname will take me to being the same as my mums (remarried) and if we are to have any kids well all have the same surname
    FORUMTICKER.NET Ticker

I am doing the same as Kimbo......keeping my own name for work and will take H2B's name for everything else. I am actually quite sad to be changing my name (think it has something to do with me being an only child). x

I'l be takin h2bs surname I never really thought about not doing it to be honest! Couldn't really double barrel as it would be extremely long lol! I was having this conversation with friends the other day and one couldn't believe that it doesn't bother me to be loosin my surname but im on my 3rd surname already so will be gd to change it for the final time and I love the thought of being mrs Jamieson xx

i'll def be changing my surname, wouldnt consider keeping my own. my surname is my step-dads - who i have no relationship with (nor would i want to) and we already have a child who has his dads surname, so im looking forward to us all having the same name.

I'm taking h2b's name although he thinks we should mush our two surnames together to make a new one! xx

Quote Originally Posted by Leanney265 View Post
    I'm taking h2b's name although he thinks we should mush our two surnames together to make a new one! xx
    haha fab idea, be only family with that surname. lol

i really wouldnt like to have a different surname from my children either, another reason ill def change. its one of the main reasons one of my friend wanted to be married as she hated her daughter having a different name lol xxx

I am double barrelling! My name means alot to me and represents my dads heritage at the same time!! My dad has no boys so no one to carry on his name so I have always wanted to do so even before I met my Mr!!

I think he understands why I am doing well i hope so!!

People might think i am werid and its not traditonal!! But my dad means the world to me and ive always wanted to keep his name and make proud by keeping his name going.

Xxx
    Last edited by elnoo; 10-11-2011 at 02:59 PM.
    <3 Mrs Moran Millar....To Be <3

I was married when I was 21 so I have had my name for 25 years now. I am getting married again soon and I consider it a privelege to take my partners name. If I wanted to stick with my current surname he would be very hurt. Its going to be harder changing it this time around just had it so long. I am a very happy bunny having found love for a second time with a wonderful man.

I am taking h2bs name, didnt occur to me to do anything else. I gave up my maiden name when I married first time round and kept it to save kids having different surname to me when we split up & divorced. So this will be surname no 3! Havent practised signature yet tho! Honest!!

What an interesting thread!
    Another possibility thats not in the poll, although would be covered by "other", is the groom taking the brides name! One of my best friends wanted to keep her name as she was the last of the siblings/cousins in the all female generation to get married so her hubby decided to change his! They didn't tell anyone and it wasn't until the master of ceremonies introduced the new Mr & Mrs (brides name) to the room! Everyone thought it was sweet!
    Lx
    16th of June 2012

Quote Originally Posted by BalbirnieDreamer View Post
    Another possibility thats not in the poll, although would be covered by "other", is the groom taking the brides name! One of my best friends wanted to keep her name as she was the last of the siblings/cousins in the all female generation to get married so her hubby decided to change his! They didn't tell anyone and it wasn't until the master of ceremonies introduced the new Mr & Mrs (brides name) to the room! Everyone thought it was sweet!
    Lx
    It is sweet but i think my h2b is too much of a mans man to do that and footy team would slag him rotten haha!

Its defo personal preferance. xxx

Quote Originally Posted by missm2mrsf View Post
    It is sweet but i think my h2b is too much of a mans man to do that and footy team would slag him rotten haha!

Its defo personal preferance. xxx
    I have to say, she wears the trousers in their relationship when it comes to most things! But I believe it was his suggestion! My H2b wouldn't be up for it either!
    Lx
    16th of June 2012

Quote Originally Posted by BalbirnieDreamer View Post
    Lx
    G was going to double-barrel with me but his parents told him that they'd disown him if he did. So he's legally staying Mr H but will be Mr H-H socially with me as Mrs H-H.

He's changing it on Facebook and that's what really matters!

As to to the "should" matter, I think the only thing that a woman should do is make the decision that's right for her. To say that a woman should take her husband's name is a little old-fashioned (and even then, Scottish women only started taking their husband's name fairly recently).
    Fairy Gokmother