Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Making own invitations

I'm planning on making our invites too.
    I really love pocketfolds but even the blank ones are expensive when you add up how many you'll need to buy and all the inserts and embellishments on top of the blanks.

So I had a go at cutting my own pocketfold last night. Once I had the basic shape I couldn't just stop at that so I got a bit ahead of myself and mocked up an invitation.
    I didn't have any papers in my colour scheme so just used what I had to hand.

Was actually quite surprised how easy it was to make the pocketfold. I started with an A3 piece of card and made a 5"x5" invite.

I might try make a template of other sizes too if anyone is interested.

Super Senior Member Nikigotmarried!'s Avatar

Thumbs up

Wow! Well done! I think these are beautiful and you'd never know they weren't made professionally. I feel in love with the invitations I have hopefully attached because I thought they were a bit different from most pocketfold invitations out there, but have been unable to find blank pocketfolds with the same dimensions or landscape pocketfold to the side. I was also put off the idea of making my own pocketfold invitations because the blanks still seem quite expensive. I really don't think I could afford to order them from a stationery supplier (I'd probably have to pay extra for a bespoke service anyway! ), not on top of everything else!

Yours look so well done, I'd love it if you did have a template for the attached style. I hope that isn't too cheeky and don't feel pressured! I think these ones are 5" by 7". Did you use any particular type of card? Do you know where is best (and by best I mean good quality for not too much money obviously) to buy card etc for wedding stationery?

Niki (): )
    xx

Thanks Niki.

Those are beautiful invites you posted. So elegant looking.
    I'll have a go at making a template for ones that size. It will be later tonight though as got the school run soon and won't get any peace until kids are in bed
    Would you want the right hand piece to be just one pocket and 4 inserts or do you want all the different sections each to be a pocket? It's hard to tell from the picture if they are just inserts or actual pockets with the titles actually on them.

As for card I got the grey one I used in that mock up from my local craft shop.
    You'd be best off buying something at least 210GSM to get a good quality sturdy card. I think the best way to save money would be to buy large sized card A3, A2 size and cut it up your self. It'd be very time consuming though.
    If you have a Hobbycraft near you they sell a large range of different sized, different thickness card.

That's what I loved about them - simple elegance
    Don't go to any trouble, only try it if you can be bothered!
    Re: Insert pocket(s) - I'd be happy for it jsut to be one simple pocket with different sized inserts. I don't even know what to have on teh inserts yet, I just know I really like the look of these invitations
    I won't mind it being time-consuming I like things like this where you can see the benefits of your hard work - just normally for me it's with cakes

There's a hobbycraft not too far away, so might try to pop along there and see what they have.

(): )
    xx

Hi Niki, been rushed off my feet with kids tonight (ok and Eastenders!) so haven't managed to make an actual invite..but did do a quick layout image with dimensions.

For 5"x7" invites you'd need A1 size card to fit the length. You would get 4 invites out of this along the width though.

I left a small tab at the end (the red bit) which you can use your tape or glue on to stick the pocket down. Hope this is pretty self explanatory.

I cut out a mini template but I had to do it to scale as the largest sized card I have at the moment is A3.
    I found with the one I made to scale it got sort of lumped up when all folded up so it may be worth adding .1 or .2 of an inch to the 4" part so it has more space to fold around the other parts if you see what I mean.

You are a star! Kids and a live Eastenders, you are good Thanks so much for this, the template is more than enough! I was trying to work out how best to incorporate the pocketfold part, I hadn't even contemplated using larger card than A3. Is A1 easy to get hold of? I'm so pleased I might actually end up with the invitations I love!
    Thanks!
    (): )
    xx

No problem. My hobby is papercrafting and it's usually the only thing I do these days that relaxes me..along with the wedding planning.

I'd say any good craft store would stock A1 sized card.
    I found some online here http://papermilldirect.co.uk/luxury-...stock-5-sheets
    And I think the pearlised card would look lovely and would really tie in with your style of invite. It's 10 for 5 sheets of A1 from there which would give you 20 invites.

I'd suggest trying to get a craft store to cut your paper for you though. A1 is big to be working with so unless you have a large guillotine at home it might be tricky to get it perfectly straight. Once they're cut into 5" strips though it'd be easy enough to cut the template into it.

Got to say girls, I am loving all the pics of invitations u are posting. They look fab. It got me motivated & I spent a good bit of last night mocking up my own invitations with bits & bobs I bought from Daintree Paper. Was at the wedding show today & after speaking to the fab girls from Daintree Paper i'm tweaking them slightly but after that they should be good to go , phew!