Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Making own invitations

Default Making own invitations

Hi, Happy New Year! Am thinking about making my own invitations. Need to get them made pretty soon, was just wondering if anyone else has done this where you bought your card from? Glasgow, Edinburgh, Central Belt & internet all accessible!

Hi MrsJ2b

I'm making my own invites and have just started putting them together! I got most of my bits and pieces from http://www.weddingcrafter.co.uk/
    They've also got lots of useful advice on the website. There are loads of places to choose from! I also used http://www.lainesworld.co.uk for my thistle embellishments and ebay came in handy too.

My best advice would be to make a list of what you need then shop around for the best prices. It can be hard to tell the quality of paper etc when you're buying online so ask for samples before you buy, most places will send them free of charge.

Hope this helps, good luck! xxx

I've made ours with bits from Daintree Paper (in Morningside in Edinburgh, or they've got a website: www.daintreepaper.co.uk). Could probably have bought the things we needed cheaper off eBay if I'd looked hard, but I really like doing things like that so I just loved being able to go to a shop like that and actually buying things instead of my usual window-shopping!

Hi i'm making my own invites too. I got the pockets (just had to stick together) & card for all the inserts from www.pocketfoldinvites.co.uk. I bought the silver backing card from works shop & diamontes from paper mill shop. This is one of my mock ups. (Colour not showing up great on my camera, they look better in real life.)

Finally Mrs Hendry

Last pic promise... just hope everyone likes them after all my effort lol!!

Last edited by j82; 12-01-2010 at 11:27 PM. Reason: .
    Finally Mrs Hendry

j82

They're really fantastic, have you done crafty things before?

If I were you I'd be worried people didn't actually realise they weren't professionally made.

Really well done though - remember to make one for a keepsake box, one of my friends only made enough to send out and regrets not keeping one for prosperity

M x

Hi J82

We are wanting to make our own invitations too and ur pics are just gorgeous!

this may be such a silly question but i was wondering, how did u get the rpint on the card? - did u have to type the info and feed it through ur own printer at home? or did you send the info to the company and the pieces of card came pre-printed???

im a bit crap with technology so the thoguht of trying to line up the text and feed it through printers etc panics me as I know I'll make a mess of most of it

thank you

nicola

Thanks for the kind words girls, glad you liked them.

I've not really done crafty things before but i kept them quite simple so it was fairly straightforward. Oh and thanks for reminding me to keep one, didn't think of that.

Nicola i printed them myself at home, i'm not a whizz on computers but it was fairly simple to do.

I used microsoft office publisher (free trial) and just played about til i had the wording/layout i wanted. Publisher lets you custom the size of the page so that its exactly as you need and not just a4. So i just measured the inserts i ordered and used that size. It then lets you change the print settings so the printer recognises that size of paper/card. I'm not sure if i'm explaining very well but if you need any more help just ask.
    Finally Mrs Hendry

Your invites look fab! Love the folded envelope - I have not seen it in a square card before and it looks great!

I want to make my own invites and have done a wee bit of crafty stuff before and have always started in hobbycraft. Especially if you are looking for nice quality but single colour cards as a base, they are quite a bit cheaper than most other places, and then have a really wide selection of papers for printed inserts and backdrops. There is a big one at Glasgow Fort and one in Fort Kinnaird in Edinburgh.

Hope that helps! Anyone else got any pics? xx

Quote Originally Posted by j82 View Post
    Last pic promise... just hope everyone likes them after all my effort lol!!

Do you mind if I ask where you got all the stuff to make your invitations?

Lisa x

Platinum Member

can i also ask what the different sheets are??

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    Do you mind if I ask where you got all the stuff to make your invitations?

Lisa x

Hi Lisa,

I got the pockets from www.pocketfoldinvites.co.uk and also the extra ivory card. I got the silver card from The Works shop (High street stationary shop) and the diamontes from The Paper Mill Shop (these were quite expensive so I am trying to find them elsewhere). I did a few trials til i got it right!
    Last edited by j82; 15-01-2010 at 10:34 PM.
    Finally Mrs Hendry

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    can i also ask what the different sheets are??

The extra sheets are:
    Directions (I got from Venue Website)
    Guest Information (ie Local Accommodation/Dietary requirements)
    RSVP card (I will also supply Envelope)
    Finally Mrs Hendry

Platinum Member

thanks just wondered lol. they're lovely x

I made my invitations and got all my cards and inserts from www.pdacardandcraft.co.uk they are fab and have loads of different types and colours of card. V reasonably priced too which is also important.
    Got married on 9th April 2010 - Now Mrs K!!!!

j82, nice work!!! they're fab!

we're making our stationery too. i got most of the card from Hobbycraft and also on ebay. ours are a square card with ribbon and design on the front. we've made the orders of service and i have 5 girl friends coming round in an hour to make the invitations!

girls, if you havent been to a Hobbycraft, it is well worth a visit. there is a wedding section and while some of the stuff is a tad tacky, there are some great things. you can get trivia cards for tables, ribbon for the car, table decorations, and lots of little things that will be great finishing touches for dressing the venue. the prices are great for these wedding things and for the card and other papers etc that we bought to make the invites.

have fun!!! xx

Invitations look fab
    Can I just ask how you did the monogram of your initials?

Quote Originally Posted by Bridezilla2B View Post
    Invitations look fab
    Can I just ask how you did the monogram of your initials?
    Thanks
    I just made it up in office publisher too using three text boxes and moving them around til the letters sat where i wanted them too. There is probably a much easier way to do it but i'm not brilliant with computer stuff and this worked ok for what i wanted.
    Finally Mrs Hendry

nearlymrsT

Hi

I'm planning on making my own invitations. I'm a graphic designer so it would be a crime not too! i have been to weddings where they have had the stationery professionally done and it has been hideous (from a designers point of view). please nobody use the typeface 'curlz'!!

j82 - i think your invites look great, i'd be pleased with them.

x

Talking

I got alot of stuff from hobbycraft. I also used paper mill and my local craft shop, If you go to the small local places you tend to get girls in there that make cards themselves and will help you with ideas and what you need, making the invites was great fun a bunch of girls got together and over a bottle for wine or four made them. The last few were a bit wonky but I think it adds charm. I got lovely sticker from ebay with "hand made by Cheryl and Jamie" on them and they were only about 1.50 for 90 including postage, but after making about 2 my H2b got fed up and I called in the girls. The only hard bit is getting the printer to do what you want It is worth using alot of paper cut to size as testers which saved all the card till I got it sorted as I took about 10 goes to get it right.

hi guys,

can i just recommend www.wedloco.co.uk - we met the woman behind this company at the Aberdeen wedding fayre and her stuff was amazing! She also showed us how to do it all. Her flyer promises 100 invitiations for under 100 - I thought that was really good.

Hope you enjoy!

Platinum Member

for all those making their own invitations - how long before the wedding are you starting them?? my mum's doing mine and we've still got plenty of time, but i cant decide on a design lol. just wondered how long roughly i can wait.

Default Invitations

I recommend Hobbycraft and Kookycards. E-bay is good for material too. I'd say start making them as soon as you can. Make a sample card before you make them all, that way you can decide if you need to change it and gauge how long it takes you to make one. Enlist a few people to help as it really does cut down the time too.

Best of luck

a friend of mine is a graphic designer and he has designed our invites/rsvp cards. were just waiting on all the info to go on them and then getting them printed. I know someone who works with large laser printers so were getting them printed there. All we need to provide is the card and envelopes. Got all my envelopes online for 11. I have also ordered address labels from ebay for our rsvp cards. they have a photo of a little doll in a wedding dress with a bridesmaid beside her. They cost 2.50 but will save us ages writing our address on r.s.v.p my mil2b thinks it will be nice to glues some dimantes onto the invites so were looking into that .
    Wedding date 2/10/10

Default Futura

I'm making my own invites. Got most of the materials from futura in east kilbride - a great place for wedding things. They have a website as well but it doesn't show their full selection.

www.futura-online.co.uk

I've also hired my cake stand from here for only 8 and you get it for near enough a week for that! If you live near it its worth a pop in. x