Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Megan and Ali 24th September

Default Megan and Ali 24th September

I'm actually dreading writing this as I know it's gonna take me forever.... Think i'll need to do it in installments.....

Ok.... Friday 23rd...
    Woke up at 7am as we were heading through to Aberfoyle with everything we needed for the weekend and I had to rinse my spray tan off. I AM NOT A MORNING PERSON!!! So not a good start. Got everything together, woke up 3 crabbit, sleepy kids and heading up to my parents to load eveything into my dad's gardening van. I drove up with my dad and my niece and Ali drove up with my other niece and our 2 girls. When we arrived in Aberfoyle, it was raining really heavily and the grounds at Forest Hills were soggy and covered in puddles. Ali and my dad then headed back to Glasgow to dump the van and come back up. On the way up, Ali had the realisation that when he tried his kilt on the previous night the plaid wasn't in the bag... So I phoned the kilt shop, no problem, one being looked out, best man will collect on his way up.

Up in the hotel me and all my wee girls went exploring, walking around the grounds, picnics, puddle jumping etc. My brother in law arrived early afternoon with my mum and sis and other niece then he went back to Glasgow. I opened up the bag with the plaid... wrong tartan!!
    Phoned kilt shop again and they were going to try and get one up to Aberfoyle but no luck so had to phone Hubby to go back into Glasgow... not amused...

At this point me and my mum decided to go for a spot of lunch and a wander in Aberfoyle, let all the boys stress now as i've been doing all the legwork for past 2 years. We went for a couple of glasses of wine and waited on Ali's mum and niece arriving from Dundee, all in all a nice wee afternoon chilling in the rain.

We booked a table for dinner and all headed back to the hotel to chill out until all the boys arrived back from Glasgow after ditching all the cars except ours.

Spent the next few hours doing last minute stuff and generally chilling out. There was a wedding on Friday afternoon so we stayed away as much as possible to let them enjoy it.
    Went into Aberfoyle later on with all the folks, kids, brothers, sisters, and a few of my mates who were staying on the Friday, had a great wee night, still not stresses in the slightest. Very laid back and chilled out. Headed back to hotel fairly early as all the girls had to get their hair washed for the next day as hairdresses wanted 2nd day hair.

This is around about the point me and Hubby had a huge fall out as while I was running about getting all the kids sorted for bed, showered etc etc he was in bar with best man getting hammered. Not amused. I then tried to finish my seating plan and the frame smashed... cue lots of tears and me phoning him at 11.50pm and slamming phone down......

Didn't get a lot of sleep surprisingly.

Woke up nice and early as the hairdressers were coming at 9 and we had a lot of heads being done. Had breakfast and headed to my mum's room for the getting ready. I was still in a foul mood about previous night but was trying not to let it bug me... trying!!
    Hairdressers arrived and the next 4 hours are a total blur of straighteners and hairspray. All my bridesmaids were looking amazing and so glamourous that the nerves started to kick in. I sent one of the kids up to Ali with a note saying, I love you, cant wait to be your wife, see you at 2... Mrs T.... He replied with...... A can of Irn Bru!!!
    Was still holding it together when my friend arrived to do my makeup, armed with champagne and a gift from her and my bridesmaid with some la senza post wedding clothing and a lovely card, saying how we've been friends through all of the frogs and how they are so happy mine turned into a prince....
    Finally.... tears started and reality hit.......

Lovely story so far and what a lovely thoughtful card from your friends! x

Lovely, can't wait for the next installment

x

Super Senior Platinum Member missm2mrsf's Avatar

love installments x

Lovely, don't keep us waiting too long for the next installment!

Part 2... lol

SO..... in the room getting hair and make up done. Was total pandemonium. At one point there was me, 5 bridesmaids, 3 flower girls, MOB and MOG, 2 hairdressers and my mate doing my make up, so the whole getting ready process was pretty crazy. My nerves were still holding up until about an hour before ceremony. My sister and best mate then started getting me into my dress while the photographers arrived and started snapping away. I though I was totally fine until I looked at my hands and realised they were shaking like mad lol....

Once I was dressed I looked like a bride and wow... talk about scary stuff!! My normal, organised, calm persona was taken over by a shaking wreck. Was getting really paranoid about being late. Had loads of fun photos taken and that really little lightened the mood and relaxed me. There is a cracking picture of me climbing out of the window in my dress with my mum pulling me back in. Other hotel guests were laughing like mad.
    By the time we got to 1.45 (2pm Ceremony) I was in blind panic that I was running late even though I had loads of time. I could hear the piper playing to the guests and my stomach started bouncing like mad. I wanted to go.... now!!
    The Humanist arrived at our room and the next bit is a bit of a blur.... she was organising bridesmaids, how they were walking, in what order, who was taking my bouquet etc etc.... My mum left to go and get seated and the rest of us moved into the foyer.

Then I crumbled...started crying like a baby, couldn't breathe and reality really hit... was shaking like a leaf and Ann, my Humanist just kept saying just breathe.... yeah like that was option

Lovely Story xx

Aww this is a lovely story! All the ups and downs makes it sound normal, never quite understand people who can remain calm, I think I will be exactly the same as you and crumble on the day! Esp knowing how organised I have been throughout the whole process! Congratulations xx

I really should rewind a wee bit...... The forecast for the weekend was rain... We had wanted an outside ceremony, surrounded by hills and spectacular scenery, but when we arrived on the Friday night is was chucking it down so we were resigned to having it indoors, still beautiful but not the same wow factor....
    Whilst I was getting my hair done one of the hotel staff came in and asked if we wanted the ceremony outside.... Hadnt even noticed that all the clouds have moved away and the sun was out. So we were getting our outside ceremony after all... yay...

So, back to the foyer..... Ann was still organising and had asked what side of me my dad was going to be on. Hadn't even considered this. Andrew, the hotel manager was doing master of ceremonies and then told me we were good to go.... the Piper started playing the tune from Braveheart, For The love of a Princess, for me to walk down the aisle to. I didn't hear a note of it!! All the bridesmaids started walking and I just followed in a blur. Walked out of the patio doors onto the terrace and was literally blinded by the sun.. and the tears... Seeing everyone smile and ahhh at me was quite breathtaking and emotional (cue more tears). Ali was waiting at the end looking so smart and handsome in his kilt. He also looked so proud. So here is me, walking down the aisle, trying to wipe the tears (of joy lol) without messing my makeup. Wasn't until I was nearly at my new hubby that I realised I had left my dad coming through the doors and walked down the aisle myself lol.......
    OOPS
    Ann made a joke of that though and it totally eased the tension.
    The ceremony was more beautiful than I could have imagined. She spoke about how we met (in the rain), all of our holidays (in the rain) how he proposed (in the rain) and read a beautiful poem called 'rain sometimes'. Even now people are commenting on how beautiful the ceremony was. If anyone wants to read the script let me know. Even my mum who soo wanted a Catholic Wedding was in tears and said how perfect it was.
    Throughout the ceremony, Ann kept getting my name wrong (my name is pronounced Meegan), it became a bit of a panto with everyone shouting MEEGAN every time she said it wrong... very funny

Can anyone tell me how to attach photos??

Super Senior Platinum Member Mrs McDermott's Avatar

Ah Meegs, lovin your report.....:-) To attach pics u need to go advanced and then use manage attachments. D-x-
    Donna & Jim - 20th August 2011

www.donna-and-jim.are.gettingmarried.co.uk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	307966_10150316237996809_619591808_8370460_1709865397_n.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	3648Click image for larger version. 

Name:	307966_10150316237996809_619591808_8370460_1709865397_n.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	3648
    Lets see if this works

Name:	322369_10150314024092239_533692238_7955013_476206232_o.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	3649

Name:	301685_10150316235856809_619591808_8370427_173502258_n.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	3651Click image for larger version. 

Name:	301685_10150316235856809_619591808_8370427_173502258_n.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	3651

Name:	327646_10150305232757543_621392542_8095838_1434779610_o.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	3652

This one is a wee teaser from my photographer xxx

Super Senior Member

Congratulations meegs, you look beautiful. Your venue looks amazing!!!

You look bloomin fantastic !!!!! Hope you still stay on this site and keep us company. You have been good company x

Super Senior Member Mrs_G to be's Avatar

wow Meegs you look stunning - what a lovely wedding report -

Getting married on 23/06/12

Aw you look gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing! xx
    xxx Bob&Fiona 5/11/11 xxx

Awww so chuffed for you hunni and everything worked out well for use and even better! use got your ceremony outside!! loved reading your report you looked amazing all the best mrs!! x

Waheyyy..lovely report hunnie! Loving your pics x
    Anita & Grant 26th of May 2011

Aww Meegs, you looked abso stunning!!! What a great report, the highs and lows! Its great for such a real report with all the details, so happy you got ur ceremony outside afterall

Gemz x

Enjoyed reading your report, and seeing your pictyres you looked beautiful. Thanks for sharing and congratulations x

Sounds like a fab day and you all looked lovely!!
    Congratulations!!

Could I have the details of your ceremony?

x

Thanks everyone, I truly had an amazing day and wouldn't change a thing (well maybe forgetting my wee dad) PM me your email address lovingallthingsfloral and i'll email you the whole script.

I'll share a wee bit about the ceremony anyway. As I said, it was a humanist ceremony and it was so personal it was amazing. My husband has 3 kids that live with us full time so it was important that the wedding was about all of us becoming a family and not just him and I becoming husband and wife. All 3 kids had their mention in the ceremony and Ann even spoke of the night we got engaged and the joke I had shared with the kids. He proposed on the Eiffel Tower in a week we had surprised the kids by taking them to Disneyland. Kids were over the moon when Ali proposed and about me being their mummy. I told them I was going to end up in Disneyland like all the other wicked stepmothers lol..... kids loved it. But they also loved having a mention in the ceremony, made them feel more involved in the day.

Ali and I are both proud Scots, so we also wanted something quite traditional and quirky. We had initially looked at handfasting and jumping the broom but decided on Tying the Knot. As Ali had wanted his own tartan (no danger) we bought 2 tartan scarves, one Taylor for me and Thomson for him. I'm happy to report that no one at the wedding had ever heard of it never mind seen it done and went down a storm. Was so different and no one knew what was coming which I loved. We also chose 'The Loving Cup' part of our ceremony, which was drinking from the quaich. Best man filled it with his hip flask, we then said three toasts to each other, taking a drink with each. However we had totally forgot there were 3 so had pretty much necked the whisky after the 1st... luckily no one could see the contents of Ali and I drinking from an empty quaich lol.

After ceremony photo time, great fun and loved every minute. I physically cannot wait until I get my album!

For dinner, we did a receiving line of just Ali and I, then the piper piped us into top table, I asked him to play the Braveheart tune again as I hadnt heard it first time round. It was excellent!!!!!
    I know I was the bride in the big dress and all, but it was really weird being the main focal point at the top table. We chose to do the speeches after the meal as very aware it had been a long day for people. The meal was by no means spectacular, every aspect of it. I can honestly say I have never tasted anything so good and all of my guests have been emailing saying wow... that was stunning pate etc etc... I'm a spiller so had my napkin tucked into my dress lol... luckily the same colour haha.

Speeches were good too. Ali was bricking it and I need to be honest and say I really enjoyed watching him sweat... After doing most of the planning and him being so relaxed and wondering why I was so highly strung, it was nice to watch him go through the same emotions... His speech was good, had been car crash until his draft accidentally fell in the bin. My dad's speech was taken over by the fact he was so overwhelmed by the food and the service, he spent his whole time raving about how amazing the hotel, staff and everyone was lol. Best man's speech was brilliant. Ali kind of grew apart from most of his friends when he had kids and prefers his hillwalking to guys nights out. Since being with me he has become really friendly with my sister's hubby of 20 years, so he asked Vic. Vic is like Jack Dee, deadpan... He's also not used to public speaking so he was shaking like a leaf. His speech though was amazing. Very funny and read off of a toliet roll. He sympathised with being married to a Taylor daughter, warned Ali of the next 20 years and how he might want to talk as much now before he loses his right of speech. Blamed Ali for his Sunday dinners at my mums getting smaller when Ali came on the scene etc etc. He also made reference to me being like a wee sister to him and how proud of me he was..... more tears lol...

First dance was Norah Joned- Come away with me. The words were perfect, all about walking together, lying in each others arms while the rain falls on a tin roof (we're big hillwalkers and stay in bothys - shelters in the middle of nowhere, no electricity and lots with tin roofs lol) 2nd dance was Take That - Rule the world which I danced half of with Ali then danced with my dad while Ali danced with his mum. They have a strained relationship and I think this meant the world to her.
    We then moved onto Ceilidh and everyone was sooooo bad at the dances it was hilarious. Kids loved every miunte of it and I had a few English friends who had never been to a ceilidh before and couldnt get off the dancefloor. Brilliant. Unfortunatelt my dress kept getting stood on, bustle got ripped off so I had to sit out some of the dances. The band were amazing though, they played enough ceilidh without killing everyone. They then moved onto a disco and nearly everyone was on the dancefloor all night