Thread: do it yourself F&B any ideas on suppliers

Default do it yourself F&B any ideas on suppliers

Hi we are planning a wedding and are coming to a understanding that it will be a lot more special and economical to have our own bar and we have a friend who is a chef can cook for the wedding. I was wondering if any of you know any suppliers or planners who supply table, chairs, glass take care of the bar and table decoration.
    also any ideas on marquee costs
    thanks

We considered hiring a hall and doing this, but it worked out very expensive (particularly catering but if you have that sorted then that's one less expense). There are a few companies that do cater hire, Gordon's Cater Hire, 88 Events, Cairns & Scott are a few I've heard of. Will you have to hire a mobile kitchen too? You may have to pay alot extra on damage deposits which you might not get back, we ended up getting a cheaper more hassle free deal with a hotel.

you can get glassware through supermarkets - tesco, sainsbury's etc.

Super Senior Member

I know blue parrot company do table linen, chair covers, centrepieces etc and I imagine they might do chairs etc...not sure though. Worth a try.

Default thanks But!!!

hi all thanks a lot, i will have a look at the names mentioned , but has any of you been to any wedding where things are done by themselves and does it work or adds more stress

We were going down this route....but it turned out to be a nightmare.

For a floored marquee with tables, chairs, linens, dancefloor, heating, lighting, coat stands, loos, lights outside etc etc etc etc we were quoted (from 3 companies) in the region of 9000!!!! FOR A TENT!!!!! we were restricted to those three companies as the ground we were looking to rent would only deal with them. We wanted a hog-roast, but the bar staff would not work with caterers other than their own commpany. we also had hassle with generator hire, (for caterers, heat, light and sound) hiring fridges for booze and soft drinks, cutlery, plates, glass hire....it got too much for me and we cancelled our original plans.

We've now got the whole wedding for 100 for a sit down meal at approx 12000 for the lot.

Apart from cost, if your are going down this route I would recommend a wedding planner as there are millions of things to organise, so many suppliers etc...

xx

Wedding Supplier The Green Cockatoo's Avatar

Try your local college - sometimes they have a catering teaching side that you can subcontract. There are also willing students too - if you're lucky!
    Have you thought about a 'village hall' style (or local community halls - some are really grand once you get inside) - they often have plenty chairs & tables to hire and sometimes even a bar area that you just need to stock. They usually have a good floor for dancing too! Once decorated & well lit, these halls can be just as pretty, and much more economical.
    Table decorations can be hired - or why not make some & then use them for favours?You could have tiny picture frames with guests names instead of place cards - or iced cookies with names that will double up as gifts.
    As EllenB said - supermarkets will do free glass hire - usually 20 or so returnable deposit with about 1 per glass for breakages.
    It is a challenge to do it all on your own - hire a planner or rope in extra friends to help and it will be good fun too!
    www.thegreencockatoo.com
    Vintage China & Accessory Hire
    Event & Concierge Support
    Find us on Facebook!

Wedding Supplier

hey

I would give Braveheart Banqueting a go http://www.braveheartbanqueting.com/
    They work out quite well, as menus per person start from around 24 per person, also they bring mobile bar - do not charge for bar service or corkage- only per drink to guests so saving you !Basically acting like a proper bar.

Kirsty x

Default hummmmm still searching

thanks again Mrs 2be, I am based in london but will get married in scotland. the problem is these blooody venues are all coming up with these packages that are either useless or silly i am keeping a hunt on will keep you all posted thanks again

I know its been mentioned befreo, but gordons cater hire are good - i have organised balls for my work and our caterer uses them and we have never had any problems. they alos have a sister company that does marquees (sorry, cant remember their name) and you can also order table linen and some table decorations from there too. and they have a contact for toilets. we looked into this as an option with one place, but decided on somewhere else. if you were getting quite a bit from them they may do you a good package.
    hope that helps

Advertisers glasgowgirlsweddingguide's Avatar

Hi tanny

In answer to your earlier question, I have been to a DIY Wedding and it was one of the best I have ever attended!

The couple had a marquee in their front garden with two big tents on either side - one for the smokers and one for the bar; the toilet was the one in the house; guests all chipped in and washed glasses when needed; the bar was BYOB and self-service; everyone grabbed a dish from inside to bring out when it was time for the buffet; the band were young cousins of the groom; the Bride got her dress in TK MAXX and the whole thing was amazing because everyone felt involved and part of the celebrations!!

It can and does work well without necessarily breaking the bank!!