Thread: #Shine Jesus Shinme# Anyone else having this?

Default #Shine Jesus Shinme# Anyone else having this?

Hi girls,

Advice needed! i love the hymn Shine Jesus Shine - I think that even if people don't know it, it's dead easy to pick up?

My dad isn't sure it's appropriate for a wedding?! We're getting married in our Church and I'm really not a fan of hymns that are too cheesy or remind me of Sunday School...Each to their own taste and all! Sorry...

So this is why I wanted to pick this one. Haven't even spoken to the minister yet but was just running ideas past my dad.

Be great to hear what you think. I looked at the lyrics and although it's not a wedding hymn I didn't think it was pushing too big a message that would mean it wasn't appropriate for the wedding?!

Fi x

I have only browsed at hymns for the church but the ones I have considered do manage to get the "romanticism" of the day in there without being cheesy. I think this is the thing when you marry in a church, there will always be the religious aspect to songs. But it is your day so you need to select hymns that you will remember and give you happiness on the day.

You should speak to the minister before you decide on anything. They have been to enough that if you explain the feel you want from music they can make appropriate suggestions. Our minister has a pre-printed sheet with both hymn and reading suggestions, theough we are not obliged to stick to them.

Hi Mrsmca

Thanks for your comment. I'm happy for the content to be religious, I think my Dad thought as it probably isn't a traditional wedding hymn then it might not be right?!

Will chat this through with our minister. i'm hoping he will be flexible, his services have been quite 'quirky', He is from Romania and has been known to bring out his guitar and sing to us!! So I hope that because of this and he's young that he will be up for hymns that will get people singing, but not forgetting we're in the Church at the same time.

Dilemas...

xx

I love it!! I'm religious my husband isn't. We had a religious ceremony in a hotel, but no hymns. If we did have hymns, that would be one of them! xx

Hi talktofi

The song is asking for God to surround you in his light and love and it even says at one point "mirrored here, may our lives tell your story". I think it's very suitable for a wedding!
    I think people get too caught up in tradition and the way things "should be done" sometimes. At the end of the day it's your wedding and if that song means something to you surely it will be better than a hymn chosen just because it's traditionally played at weddings? If you know and enjoy the song it will show and the singing will be better on the day (you can't help but get right into Shine Jesus Shine!!).

Whatever music you choose I hope you have a wonderful day and who cares if you do things out of the ordinary as long as you have fun?!!!

xx

Super Senior Member

I'm seriously considering this hymn for our wedding, I love the hymn & think the music is so uplifting. I'd say go for it!