Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ban on Chinese Lanterns

Default Ban on Chinese Lanterns

We really want to have Chinese lanterns at our wedding. When we booked the venue we were told that this would be fine. In fact we were told that the staff would help our guests light the lanterns! There has been a change of staff and the new wedding co-ordinator has now told us we cannot have Chinese lanterns. She says there are 2 problems. Local farmers - this one I hope to get round a we have sourced biodegradable lanterns. But she says the coast guard has put a ban on chinese lanterns at weddings.

Has anyone else come across this problem? And managed to get round it?

Super Senior Member mackinnon.ka's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by weddingfund11 View Post
    We really want to have Chinese lanterns at our wedding. When we booked the venue we were told that this would be fine. In fact we were told that the staff would help our guests light the lanterns! There has been a change of staff and the new wedding co-ordinator has now told us we cannot have Chinese lanterns. She says there are 2 problems. Local farmers - this one I hope to get round a we have sourced biodegradable lanterns. But she says the coast guard has put a ban on chinese lanterns at weddings.

Don't think we are allowed any either for similar reasons They are so pretty....
    ~*01/08/2011 was the most magical day of my life *~

Super Senior Platinum Member SpecialSundae's Avatar

Chinese lanterns are absolutely gorgeous, but I can understand why they're being banned.

While they are pretty, even the biodegradable ones come with some significant risks. While the risk of setting the countryside on fire is much lower here than elsewhere, it is still a risk, plus even the biodegradable ones can leave nasty sharp rings that can kill wildlife (as they don't break down overnight).

Are there other alternatives that you'd be happy with? We've booked fireworks instead (as with the number of guests we have it wasn't a huge difference in price).
    Fairy Gokmother

Super Senior Member

I've heard of a lot of places banning them for safety reasons after that wee girl was burned last year too.

Super Senior Member thefuturemrscl's Avatar

They are gorgeous, but it does slightly scare me when guests who have had one too many try to light them!

I am going to try and see if a friend of ours has a contact with the local coast guard! The really annoying thing is that I know that they allowed chinese lanterns at weddings in December and January and have now changed their policy without informing us.

I expect this is covered by the "small print" in the venue contract.

Has anyone managed to get round this problem by telling the coast guard in advance about the timing and number of lanterns?

I don't thiink we can afford fireworks! I was at a wedding last year and there were fireworks for 5 minutes. We heard it cost them 8,000!! And they are still paying it off!

I don't thiink we can afford fireworks! I was at a wedding last year and there were fireworks for 5 minutes. We heard it cost them 8,000!! And they are still paying it off!
    We're paying less than a tenth of that!
    Fairy Gokmother

Super Senior Member mackinnon.ka's Avatar

That's an insane amount to spend on fireworks!
    ~*01/08/2011 was the most magical day of my life *~

Is there anything that is similar to chinese lanterns but isn't fireworks??

Not as interactive, but you could have paper lanterns on the path to your venue (if there is one).
    Fairy Gokmother

Many thanks. I think I might have to re-think this one!

Super Senior Member

have to say, I saw the chinese lantern things on an episode of Countrywide. The farmers were calling for a ban as they are killing cows in the fields, as well as other wildlife and damaging farmland.

Special Sundae - can I ask you you used for your fireworks as I think Im looking at a large bill for mine. Many thanks. Have missed your shoe update so will need to read your updates x

Miss K Nomore - I'm using 21CC Fireworks and spending 750. We decided to go for a condensed display (all of it fired in 3 minutes) for greater intensity.

I'll be back with more updates on my shoes. They're nearly there.
    Fairy Gokmother

We almost set fire to a tree at our venue! One of the lanterns obv had a small hole in it and it flew off in the wrong direction....straight into an old beech tree and stuck there! Fortunately the weather has been so pants the last few months and the tree was still really wet. The lantern just burned out and fell to the ground.

Can totally understand about the coast guard as well with them maybe getting confused with flares. xx

We are not allowed the lanterns either at our venue...We are getting married at the Hilton Hotel in Dundee and it is right on the River Tay. The reason we were told were because we are right next to the Tay Road Bridge and also for the Coastguard as well....Also too near city centre.... and farmers fields across the water. I totally understand why we are not allowed them.
    My neighbour let off the chinese lanterns in her back door a few ago and nearly set fire to our trampoline and our 6ft fences. We had to move our garden swing and table and chairs too for this. They are realyl a fire hazard i think.

Super Senior Member

That's crazy!! Pretty sure that figure has got exaggerated or mixed-up somewhere along the line. Maybe 800? The prices from the companies i've looked at tend to be less than the 4 figures. That number is insane! Lol.

OMG that sounds pretty bad...i too think they are lethal. they do lovley but can cause serious harm..
    i looked at the links you posted....that would put me off for life......x

I think there was a programme on TV last week that showed one of the lanterns went underneath a car and set fire to it! A girl from work was talking about it.

hmmm, i never thought about the coast guard. im gonna have to do some thinking as to how to get around that one

You don't just have to think of the coast guard but also any nearby airports.

Slightly different scenario but my friend arranges a balloon release for charity and she has to get it cleared with the coastguard, Edinburgh airport and the local council. If you are going to have things in the air that could fall anywhere, there is a lot to think about!

What about sparklers? And the venue provide a big bucket of water to dispose of them?

I was driving home from work last week when a Chinese lantern landed in the middle of the opposite dual carriageway just as a car was coming along. Doubly dangerous especially if at night - not just the coastguard and animal you have to think of!

Advertisers

As a farmer I find Chinese Lanterns too random and I shudder to think of my clients with fire and alcohol. I prefer Fireworks, as you know where they will go and you can point them away from the peacocks. Also remember we are in Scotland and 5 minutes is more than enough to be standing outside in party dresses so you do not need to spend to much.
    You may get lucky and find a venue that may set off Category 3 for you.

The system of classifying fireworks.

Category 1 - indoor fireworks, for use in small areas.
    Category 2 - garden fireworks; must be safely viewable from 5 meters and must not scatter debris beyond 3 meters.
    Category 3 - display fireworks; must be safely viewable from 25 meters and must not scatter debris beyond 50 meters.
    Category 4 - professional fireworks; a person must have adequate insurance and storage to purchase and use these fireworks. Insurance can only be obtained once they have a knowledge of the safe use and storage of Category 4 fireworks. There is no such thing as a "license" to buy or use Category 4 fireworks.

We're not having the lanterns but know of another couple who want to let them off at the same venue, as the venue sits right under the flight path to edinburgh airport the venue has advised them they must get clearance from the airport before they will agree to them.