Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wedding Report 2nd October 2009

Default Time for the dress and running late!

So I had been sitting around waiting to put my dress and it was nearly time, but talking of time, I had asked my sister several times for the time and it seemed to be 1.50 for 30 minutes (we were starting at 2!).

Once I climbed into my dress with the help of my mum, sister and cousin, and suddenly I was late, which is very unlike me, whenever I'm going anywhere I'm always early!

With my dress on and a few finishing touches, we had a few photos then we got ready to leave the room and go down the stairs....

I'm absolutely loving reading the story of your wedding! I can't wait for the next installment! thanks for sharing it!

Default Ceremony Time....

We were given the signal that everyone was ready and I stood behind the door waiting to hear the part in Canon to walk out on. Lynsey opened the door ready and I was shocked to see some of our guests standing upstairs and I couldn't see the string quartet for my signal!

Slight panic but at this stage I was just smiling and nervous that it didn't matter and Ben (the lead violinist in the quartet) saw me and gave the nod. I remember talking to myself as we went down the stairs, one by one.

I kept looking down at my feet making sure that I didn't trip or fall. I then saw Richard and I could feel my hands shaking. My dad kissed my cheek then I sorted out my dress and stood facing Richard. I wasn't sure if I could hold Richard's hands but the registrar must have sensed by nervousness and signaled that I could. As soon as I held Richard's hands I felt relieved and could see that Richard was as nervous as I was.

The quartet stopped and the registrar began. It felt like she was talking for ages and I remember wondering when it would be time for us to speak, then I started to worry if I would remember what to say after the registrar then what if I couldn't speak or pronounce the words properly! At this time I looked up at Richard and had to look away so that I didn't cry. During all the planning I didn't realise how emotional everything would be, now I am quite an emotional person and easily well-up at weddings on the tv and in movies but in all the stress and worry of our wedding day I hadn't prepared myself for this (although I did have waterproof mascara on, which was chosen by my sister, she must have known!).

It was time for our parts and we both managed to speak properly and as we exchanged rings, Richard said:

From this day forward,
    You shall not walk alone.
    My heart will be your shelter,
    And my arms will be your home.

Then it was my turn to say:

You are my husband.
    My feet shall run because of you.
    My feet dance because of you.
    My heart shall beat because of you.
    My eyes see because of you.
    My mind thinks because of you.
    And I shall love because of you.

With a couple of final words from the registrar we were husband and wife!

One big hug (I don't think either of us wanted to let go) and our first kiss as a married couple, we walked down the stairs to greet our guests and sign the register. But as we turned around and I finally saw everyone (most of whom were all teary eyed and we found out later that we had everyone in tears) and I lost it. After holding back the tears during the ceremony, I couldn't stop them now. As we walked through our guests to the signing table and hand shot out with a tissue and I composed myself to sign and pose for photos.

Top tip here - waterproof mascara is wonderful, no panda eyes or smudges!

I could do with some waterproof mascara right now!!! So lovely and romantic!

Default Photo time.....

Now was the time that part of me was really looking forward to and the other part dreading - photos!

When planning our wedding I had seen all these beautiful wedding photos, where the bride and groom looked natural and happy, this is what I wanted to achieve but was worried about our smiles (I don't like my teeth) and how the photos would look.

We got everyone outside and the photographer took a group shot, which I'm amazed worked as you always get one person that closes their eyes (normally me) or looks the wrong way. But it worked and when we got our photos back I loved being able to see all our guests together.

As my mum and sister sorted out the back of my dress, getting the bustle tied up, our best man brought out the confetti (lovely colourful dried petals from Shropshire Petals) and we prepared for the attack. I call it an attack because I ended up with confetti in my hair and down my dress! If you look very carefully at the photo, you'll see our friend Pete (on the left with blonde hair) throwing the confetti at us and then you see his face, he looked very determined to 'chuck' it as us!

We survived the attack and posed for more photos...

Default More photos....

We posed for our final photo, cutting the cake....

Then we greeted our guests and got ready for dinner. As our parents formed the line-up at the Coach House, we had a few moments to ourselves, we didn't say much from feeling overwhelmed about the day and I think Richard realised that it would soon be time for his speech, which he was very nervous about.

We made our way over to the Coach House and the photographer took this lovely photo of us, which at the time I don't remember seeing him?

Lynsey announced us into the room and we took our place at the top table. Seeing everyone standing up and clapping us in was amazing.

Our life as husband and wife had started and after the excitement of the morning we were ready to relax and enjoy the rest of the day with our family and friends.

Default Time to party....

I was sooo hungry and really looking forward to the meal, the only problem was sitting down in my dress was quite uncomfortable but I coped.

We had soon finished eating and we got ready for speeches. My dad was up first and his speech was beautiful, it was very hard not to cry. I looked around the room and everyone was in tears.

Next my sister did her speech, now something you should know about my sister, we are complete opposites and used to argue a lot! So her wanting to do a speech completely shocked me. She started talking about how even though we are opposites we were still there for each other. At this point my mum was in tears, as was the rest of the room, then my sister started with the tears. She paused then finished her speech. I felt so proud of her, as did everyone else.

Now it was Richard's turn, he was really dreading this but he spoke beautifully and talked about when we were first friends and how the relationship grew. And yep you've guessed, everyone was still in tears.

It had been a very emotional day and it was time for the best man to lighten the mood. He started by asking me to put my hand on the table (I was like huh?), then he asked Richard to put his hand on top of mine (at this point I'm thinking, aww he'll say something sweet - nope) "This is the last time you'll have the upper hand!"

I think it worked (apart from my confused look of 'why am I putting my hand on the table').

The speeches were over and it was time for the band...

There was a little bit of drama with the band setting up and our guests wanting to sit down, but we shrugged it off.

The band we had hired were a motown band from Edinburgh, called The Soul Foundation and they were amazing!

Our first dance was to Al Green's "Let's stay together" and it was the first time that we had talked about the day and it was lovely dancing with my husband...

Everyone joined us on the dance floor and I think I got to dance to nearly every song with my family and friends. I think I perfected dancing in my wedding dress and it was fun!

To finish the night, we danced on the stage with the band for the last song "Higher and Higher" by Jackie Wilson.

It was an amazing day and I didn't want it to end, we were finally husband and wife, after a year and a half of planning and stressing about every last detail, we had done it and it was time for a week of relaxing in the Turks and Cacios.

So I've finally finished my wedding report, I hope that you all like it

Fantastic wedding report! you both looked great and so happy! massive congrats!
    hugs xx

Fantastic!!! Makes me all the more eager for my wedding at Craigsanquhar next August!!!

Nic xx

Thank you for your kind comments, good luck with all of your upcoming weddings and I'm looking forward to reading about all of yours

Just wanted to share our wedding highlights video with everyone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaSWb3ZmDhg

That clip is fab, brought terms to my eyes. xx

You looked beautiful! I loved the colours and the bridesmaids dresses!, just fab. I had a wee teary moment! Congratulations love.X

Super Senior Platinum Member Mrs McDermott's Avatar

Oh now i just know that i'm going to be teary when it comes to my day. If i cant hold it together just watching a wedding i'm never going to be able to do it at my own. Mrs McD2b-x-

Thank you, having a videographer was one of the best decisions we made. I just love watching the highlights and whenever I hear the Jason Mraz song the video just plays in my head.

what a great wedding report!

I love your dress too, who is it by?

Quote Originally Posted by mrs_kerr_2b View Post
    what a great wedding report!

I love your dress too, who is it by?
    Thank you, its Ida by Maggie Sottero.

What a fab report and fab pics!! you both looked amazing. Like others before me i had a few teary moments and totally loved the video. Congratulations!

What a great report! Congratulations! Pics are gorgeous and you looked stunning!

Just a quick question ... where did you get the bridesmaid dresses from? They are lovely, definitely the kind of style I am looking for.

x