Thread: Are you changing your signature if you change your name?

Default Are you changing your signature if you change your name?

Hi Ladies,

I was signing some stuff the other day that I had filled out in what will be my married name - I start a new job about a month after our wedding so was just told to fill out the paperwork in my new name. And I got to the signature bit & had no idea what to do!

I had a real debate about changing my name and only recently made a final decision to change it, but I am changing it so that whilst I take his surname, I am making my maiden name a 2nd middle name so I still have it as part of my name. Our kiddies, should we have any, will also have it as a second middle name probably (short name thankfully!).

It made me wonder - are you changing your signature if you are changing your name?

I am so tempted not to as my signature is a bit scrawly anyway & I will still have my maiden name in there so it could stay the same I guess.
    Last edited by NearlyMrsMac; 22-06-2011 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Spelling :)

Super Senior Platinum Member BalbirnieDreamer's Avatar

I'm gonna change mine. I've always signed my full name, and although its not too long, I'd rather it just be my first initial then surname. I'm going to take the opportunity when changing my name, to change my signature completely as well!
    Lx
    Craig and Laura's Wedding Website
    16th of June 2012

Super Senior Member

I thought about this too! Took me years to get a signature that I could repeat and it looked the same

I write my first name, then first initial. it's a bit scrawly, so not sure that anyone would really clock it wasn't a K (my current surname is S)

Might just see if I can get away with it. as long as it matches surely it doesn't really matter if it's not quite what your name is!

Do you have to sign the marriage register as your current signature?

Super Senior Platinum Member missm2mrsf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BalbirnieDreamer View Post
    I'm gonna change mine. I've always signed my full name, and although its not too long, I'd rather it just be my first initial then surname. I'm going to take the opportunity when changing my name, to change my signature completely as well!
    Lx
    Thats exact same as me, want to shorten it x

Super Senior Platinum Member missm2mrsf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by comingupfromengland View Post
    I thought about this too! Took me years to get a signature that I could repeat and it looked the same

I write my first name, then first initial. it's a bit scrawly, so not sure that anyone would really clock it wasn't a K (my current surname is S)

Might just see if I can get away with it. as long as it matches surely it doesn't really matter if it's not quite what your name is!

marriage register is signed as current name, as until you have signed that you officially arent a mrs lol xxx

Super Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by comingupfromengland View Post

You use your maiden name on the register, I checked this with my celebrant as I wasn't sure either!

Currently I sign my first initial and surname but the last few letters tend to just be a squiggle, my new name will be longer and more fiddly - it is actually a pain in the bum to sign (yes I have tried, how sad!) I'm sure I'll get used to it!

But yeah I'm changing it, I always knew I would change my name when I married, I never even considered not doing so! I want our kids to have the same name as both of us. My only thing is that all my professional certificates, degree etc are in my maiden name and I suppose it'll take (like the signature) some getting used to!

Senior Platinum Member

if you printed your new name, and signed with your maiden name i think people would have suspicions about it (obviously depending on the document)
    Getting Married at Lochside House - 15th June 2013

Super Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by NearlyMrsMac View Post
    Hi Ladies,

I was signing some stuff the other day that I had filled out in what will be my married name - I start a new job about a month after our wedding so was just told to fill out the paperwork in my new name. And I got to the signature bit & had no idea what to do!

I had a real debate about changing my name and only recently made a final decision to change it, but I am changing it so that whilst I take his surname, I am making my maiden name a 2nd middle name so I still have it as part of my name. Our kiddies, should we have any, will also have it as a second middle name probably (short name thankfully!).

It made me wonder - are you changing your signature if you are changing your name?

I am so tempted not to as my signature is a bit scrawly anyway & I will still have my maiden name in there so it could stay the same I guess.
    I'm doing the exact same as you, and I've changed my signature. Was really excited about practising it, and finally got to do it for real when I sent off my passport form!! I'm easily amused though

Quote Originally Posted by leesey View Post
    I'm doing the exact same as you, and I've changed my signature. Was really excited about practising it, and finally got to do it for real when I sent off my passport form!! I'm easily amused though
    Ooo, do you mean you are starting a new job after the wedding, or rather, as I am hoping , that you are changing your name to make your maiden name a middle name?

If it is the latter, do you have any idea how to go about doing it legally? I have been told all sorts of things including deedpoll etc, but I thought that wasn't relevant for Scotland. I am stuck on how to do it, but determined to change it that way!

Quote Originally Posted by mrs breslin to be View Post
    if you printed your new name, and signed with your maiden name i think people would have suspicions about it (obviously depending on the document)
    Hmm, I do wonder about that one. But I'm also thinking that you can't really read my maiden name in my signature as it is really squiggly, I am hoping it won't matter. In my previous job, I used to have to check passports/signatures for legal documents and to be honest, as long as the signature matched the signature on their ID, I never thought about what it looked like.

Super Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by NearlyMrsMac View Post
    Ooo, do you mean you are starting a new job after the wedding, or rather, as I am hoping , that you are changing your name to make your maiden name a middle name?

If it is the latter, do you have any idea how to go about doing it legally? I have been told all sorts of things including deedpoll etc, but I thought that wasn't relevant for Scotland. I am stuck on how to do it, but determined to change it that way!
    I'm not going to bother doing it legally, can't be bothered with deedpoll! There's no need to do it legally, you can call yourself anything you like, as long as you use your legal name on legal forms like passports and stuff. So legally, my name will be Mrs First Middle Married (referred to probably as Mrs Married) but I will sign my name Mrs First Middle Maiden Married and hoping the kids will be First Middle Maiden Married too, but obviously they will be registered that way and therefore legal.

Sorry if that's no use to you, but I just don't see the point in paying for deedpoll when really you could change your name to Squiggle without it needing to be legal!! But yeah, if you fancied it you just do it by deed poll.

I quite like the idea of changing it to Squiggle, would be a good idea some days That makes sense to do it that way, as long as you are happy, that is what matters!

I want to do it legally because I already have a 2nd middle name which is a surname - my biological surname & what I consider my maiden name is really my Stepdad's surname but I have used it as mine since I was about 3, but my parents (Mom & stepdad) put my biological surname as my 2nd middle name for some reason. I hate it & want rid of it basically! Hence the rather long decision about changing my name on marriage because of previous experiences and being very attached to my Stepdad's surname now. Deedpoll it is

I'm changing my name, and I normally sign my name in full. I just 'write' it in my own handwriting though, because I found it too difficult to invent a scrawly version I could consistently copy (I never learned 'joined-up' writing properly, couldn't see the blackboard in school).

So, I'll probably just write out MyName HisSurname for my new signature, in my own handwriting. I do worry that it's easy to copy, but no-one seems to have fathomed how to copy my primary school style handwriting yet lol!

nearlymrsT

I will have to change my signature as it isn't squiggly enough to pass off as anything other than my maiden name (which I can't wait to be rid of!) Had the same signature since I was 12 years old though so it will be weird coming up with a new one.

I need to send off the form for my new passport soon so it's ready for our honeymoon, but I'm having such problems getting a signature that looks even vaguely similar each time I do it! I've had my signature for about 20 years and I just don't know where to start with a new one!